Diversity at PAPIs
PAPIs is a community conference which is committed to increasing diversity in Machine Learning, by making it easier for certain groups to attend conferences. Our efforts are two-fold:
- We offer a limited number of free tickets to our conferences
- We offer a very limited number of travel grants (mainly for speakers)
We currently focus on promoting gender diversity, but anyone who feels like they could benefit from one of the above and whose attendance will increase the diversity of our community is invited to read more and to apply!
We extend our special thanks to our sponsors who allow us to provide these grants and free tickets. They contribute to the growth of a diverse and international community that shares the same interests in real-world Machine Learning applications, techniques, tools and APIs.
If your company is interested in supporting our diversity efforts and increasing the number of diversity grants and tickets, please contact us!
We offer diversity travel grants to some of our female speakers, so that they have some (or in some cases, all) of their expenses such as flight and hotel provided to them from the PAPIs conference budget. (Admission to the conference is free for all speakers.)
How PAPIs can help you
We can offer financial assistance for transportation and accommodation expenses associated with your attendance of PAPIs, assistance with childcare, and financial assistance associated with other expenses you might incur.
You may apply for as much assistance as you require, however, applications seeking more funding will be reviewed more stringently. It is also possible that we will not be able to fund the entirety of your requested funding.
As a rule: ask for only as much assistance as would enable you to attend the event. We have a limited pool of funding, and we want to make it available to as many people as possible.
How you can help PAPIs
Your help could be very useful to promote PAPIs before and after the conference. In particular, we'd like to ask you to...
- spread the word about PAPIs, e.g. via sharing links to related groups that you're part of or on social media
- prepare a write-up/article/interview on your experience at PAPIs, to be published on stories.papis.io, or a video interview to be published on our Youtube channel
- write a short testimonial for us to use on papis.io .
Transportation and accommodation assistance
If you're from out of town, we can help cover reasonable travel-related expenses associated with your attendance at the conference. Types of assistance that we look favourably upon include, but are not limited to:
- Costs of accommodation at a nearby hotel or Airbnb for the conference nights that you're planning on attending.
- Costs of airfares or long-distance bus/train tickets to the conference.
- Public transportation tickets or airport transfers.
- Childcare expenses for the conference days you're planning on attending.
You will need to provide a rough estimate of the expenses you're planning to claim, and explain how you arrived at your claim. We expect you to show that you've made an effort to minimise the amount you plan to claim, for example:
- Booking air travel on low-cost carriers, and booking your flights well in advance.
- Finding a room-mate with whom you can split the cost of your accommodation.
- Booking accommodation slightly further out from the venue to reduce costs (conference venues are well served by public transit).
Of course, if you have special needs that prevent you from doing any of these, we'll be happy to try to accommodate you. Please contact us to discuss your circumstances.
Grants are allocated on the basis of need, and applications will be assessed by our financial assistance panel.
Cases that will be looked upon favourably include, but are not limited to:
- Presenters with accepted proposals, who would otherwise not be able afford to attend the conference.
- Members of PAPIs-related groups and groups that encourage diversity in computing and technology, looking to bring knowledge back to their local community.
- Students interested in PAPIs, who can contribute knowledge back to their peers.
Application and conditions
To apply, please fill out our diversity grant application form.
If your application is accepted, we will calculate a maximum amount to reimburse you based only on the assistance you have requested. We'll reimburse you after the conference, provided you can show a list of expenses with date, provider, amount, and a receipt for each item via the expenses reimbursement form, up until 30 days after the conference.
Please contact us for any questions.
Thanks to PyCon Australia for inspiration in creating this document.