PAPIs '17 Diversity Grants
We offer diversity travel grants to some of our female speakers, so that they have some (or in some cases, all) of their expenses such as flight and hotel provided to them from the PAPIs '17 conference budget. (Admission to the conference is free for all speakers.)
Special thanks to our early Platinum and Gold sponsors Wayfair, DataRobot, Element AI and Unity who are allowing us to provide these grants, and to facilitate the growth of a diverse and international community that shares the same interests in real-world Machine Learning applications, techniques, tools and APIs.
How PAPIs can help you
We can offer financial assistance for transportation and accommodation expenses associated with your attendance of PAPIs '17, assistance with childcare, and financial assistance associated with other expenses you might incur.
You may apply for as much assistance as you require, however, applications seeking more funding will be reviewed more stringently. It is also possible that we will not be able to fund the entirety of your requested funding.
As a rule: ask for only as much assistance as would enable you to attend the event. We have a limited pool of funding, and we want to make it available to as many people as possible.
How you can help PAPIs
Your help could be very useful to promote PAPIs before and after the conference. In particular, we'd like to ask you to...
- spread the word about PAPIs '17, e.g. via sharing links to related groups that you're part of or on social media
- prepare a write-up/article/interview on your experience at PAPIs ’17, to be published on stories.papis.io, or a video interview to be published on our Youtube channel
- write a short testimonial for us to use on papis.io .
Transportation and accommodation assistance
Please consult http://www.papis.io/coming-to-papis-17 for general information on how to come to PAPIs '17.
If you're from out of town, we can help cover reasonable travel-related expenses associated with your attendance at the conference. Types of assistance that we look favourably upon include, but are not limited to:
- Costs of accommodation at a nearby hotel or Airbnb for the conference nights that you're planning on attending.
- Costs of airfares or long-distance bus/train tickets to Boston.
- Public transportation tickets or airport transfers.
- Childcare expenses for the conference days you're planning on attending.
You will need to provide a rough estimate of the expenses you're planning to claim, and explain how you arrived at your claim. We expect you to show that you've made an effort to minimise the amount you plan to claim, for example:
- Booking air travel on low-cost carriers, and booking your flights well in advance.
- Finding a room-mate with whom you can split the cost of your accommodation.
- Booking accommodation slightly further out from the venue to reduce costs (the conference venue is well served by public transit).
Of course, if you have special needs that prevent you from doing any of these, we'll be happy to try to accommodate you. Please contact us to discuss your circumstances.
Grants are allocated on the basis of need, and applications will be assessed by our financial assistance panel.
Cases that will be looked upon favourably include, but are not limited to:
- Presenters with accepted proposals, who would otherwise not be able afford to attend the conference.
- Members of PAPIs-related groups and groups that encourage diversity in computing and technology, looking to bring knowledge back to their local community.
- Students interested in PAPIs, who can contribute knowledge back to their peers.
In short, anyone whose attendance at PAPIs '17 will help improve the PAPIs community around the world and increase its diversity, is invited to apply.
Application and deadlines
To apply, please fill out our diversity grant application form. Applications close on August 4, 2017 and you will receive a response within a week. However, applications will be approved progressively so please apply early and your application may be approved early.
If your application is accepted, we will calculate a maximum amount to reimburse you based only on the assistance you have requested. We'll reimburse you after the conference, provided you can show a list of expenses with date, provider, amount, and a receipt for each item.
Please contact us for any questions.
Thanks to PyCon Australia for inspiration in creating this document.